Greenvale (South) - Oaklands Junction - Yuroke
Net migration by age
The age group with the highest net migration in Greenvale (South) - Oaklands Junction - Yuroke is 40-44 year olds, this is forecast to occur in the period between 2021 to 2026.
Migration is one of the most important components of population change. Once you have established the amount of development activity in an area, the next step is to make assumptions about who will move into the area as well as who is leaving the area.
Net migration by age is an excellent way of understanding housing markets. The most mobile age groups in the population are young adults. They tend to move to attend educational institutions, seek work and express a change in lifestyle. Market research has shown that empty nesters are more likely to move to smaller accommodation when appropriate and affordable alternative housing is supplied in the local area that is accessible to established social networks.
Select each small area to see how migration patterns differ for each area across Hume City depending on their housing markets and stage in the suburb life cycle.
Major migration assumptions:
- Consistent profile across the 2016-2026 period
- Significant gain of families with older children (5-18 years)
- Loss of young adults (20-29 years), many of whom are leaving the family home
- Small loss of older adults and retirees (55-64 years)
- Minimal population change through migration at age 65 years and over.