Residential development forecasts assume the number of dwellings in West Precinct will increase by an average of 75 dwellings per annum to 5,381 in 2041.
The addition of dwellings to the housing stock is a major driver of population growth in an area, providing opportunities for households to relocate from other areas or new households to form locally (such as young people leaving the family home or separations/divorces).
Residential development can take various forms depending on the availability of land. These include new housing estates on greenfield sites, subdivision in existing residential neighbourhoods (often called infill development), conversion of industrial lands to residential lands, and densification of housing by building up.
.id's forecasters worked with Council planners to understand the likely development activity in each small area. This forms the development assumptions for the forecasts. This table shows the quantity of new development assumed in each small area in City of Maribyrnong. Select each small area to see detailed assumptions.
List of forecast land developments and infill assumptions:
2017 dwelling additions are based on building approvals, lagged by 12-18 months. From 2016 onwards:
- Riveredge Terraces - 54 dwellings (2017)
- 9 Ashley Street - 10 dwellings (2020-2022)
- Orion Braybrook - 436 dwellings (2020-2025)
- 247 Ballarat Road - 11 dwellings (2021)
- 20-24 Rennison Street - 14 dwellings (2022)
- 125-155 Ashley Street - 576 dwellings (2030-2041)
- 343-347 Ballarat Road - 46 dwellings (2038-2041)
- Small sites - 8 dwellings
- Moderate-high level of infill (20-21 dwellings per annum)