Residential development forecasts assume the number of dwellings in Kawana will increase by an average of 21 dwellings per annum to 2,276 in 2036.
The addition of dwellings to the housing stock is a major driver of population growth in an area, providing opportunities for households to relocate from other areas or new households to form locally (such as young people leaving the family home or separations/divorces).
Residential development can take various forms depending on the availability of land. These include new housing estates on greenfield sites, subdivision in existing residential neighbourhoods (often called infill development), conversion of industrial lands to residential lands, and densification of housing by building up.
.id's forecasters worked with Council planners to understand the likely development activity in each small area. This forms the development assumptions for the forecasts. This table shows the quantity of new development assumed in each small area in Rockhampton Regional Council. Select each small area to see detailed assumptions.
Dwelling counts for 2016 have been adjusted to reflect Census results. Assumptions concerning development over the forecast period include:
- Riverview Estate - 17 dwellings (2012-2019)
- Connemara Drive - 21 dwellings (2012-2020)
- 99 Hollingsworth Street - 13 dwellings (2015-2019)
- Kawana Low Density Residential - 49 dwellings (2019-2028)
- CQU Residential Development - 243 dwellings (2021-2029)
- Low level of Infill development (0-3 dwellings per annum)