Residential development forecasts assume the number of dwellings in Eltham (Central) will increase by an average of 64 dwellings per annum to 4,532 in 2036.
The addition of dwellings to the housing stock is a major driver of population growth in an area, providing opportunities for households to relocate from other areas or new households to form locally (such as young people leaving the family home or separations/divorces).
Residential development can take various forms depending on the availability of land. These include new housing estates on greenfield sites, subdivision in existing residential neighbourhoods (often called infill development), conversion of industrial lands to residential lands, and densification of housing by building up.
.id's forecasters worked with Council planners to understand the likely development activity in each small area. This forms the development assumptions for the forecasts. This table shows the quantity of new development assumed in each small area in Nillumbik Shire. Select each small area to see detailed assumptions.
Dwelling counts for 2016 have been adjusted to reflect Census results. Specific assumptions from 2017 onwards:
- Bursaria - 20 dwellings (2018)
- Marquee Terraces - 10 dwellings (2018)
- 825 Main Road - 24 dwellings (2019)
- Dulaiwurrong Village @ Green Place - 21 dwellings (2012-2024)
- Acacia Gardens - 10 dwellings (2019)
- 33 Arthur Street - 15 dwellings (2022)
- 25 Dudley Street & 22 Arthur Street - 82 dwellings (2021-2022)
- 27-29 Arthur Street & 26-30 Pryor Street - 100 dwellings (2023-2024)
- 28 Luck Street - 10 dwellings (2022)
- Eltham Activity Centre - 460 dwellings (2025-2036)
- 1066-1074 Main Road - 28 dwellings (2023)
- Eltham Gateway - 90 dwellings (2026-2036)
- Moderate to high level of infill development (17-28 dwellings per annum)