Residential development forecasts assume the number of dwellings in Essendon Neighbourhood will increase by an average of 138 dwellings per annum to 8,949 in 2041.
The addition of dwellings to the housing stock is a major driver of population growth in an area, providing opportunities for households to relocate from other areas or new households to form locally (such as young people leaving the family home or separations/divorces).
Residential development can take various forms depending on the availability of land. These include new housing estates on greenfield sites, subdivision in existing residential neighbourhoods (often called infill development), conversion of industrial lands to residential lands, and densification of housing by building up.
.id's forecasters worked with Council planners to understand the likely development activity in each small area. This forms the development assumptions for the forecasts. This table shows the quantity of new development assumed in each small area in the City of Moonee Valley. Select each small area to see detailed assumptions.
List of forecast land developments and infill assumptions:
Dwelling counts for the period 2011 to 2016 have been adjusted to reflect Census results. Assumptions concerning development over the forecast period include:
- 88 Travancore, 72-88 Mt Alexander Road - 46 dwellings (2018)
- 3-5 North Street - 34 dwellings (2019)
- Only Flemington, 1 Ascot Vale Road - 346 dwellings (2019)
- 484-486 Mt Alexander Road - 21 dwellings (2020)
- 177A Mount Alexander Road - 15 dwellings (2020)
- Future residential development sites - 198 dwellings (2020)
- Flemington Housing Estate redevelopment - 845 dwellings (2020-2026)
- 436-442 Mt Alexander Road - 46 dwellings (2021)
- 72 Ascot Vale Road - 159 dwellings (2021-2022)
- High level of future development in centres (52-75 dwellings per annum)
- Low-high level of infill (2-22 dwellings per annum)