West Melbourne (Residential)
Residential development forecasts assume the number of dwellings in West Melbourne (Residential) will increase by an average of 327 dwellings per annum to 10,798 in 2041.
The addition of dwellings to the housing stock is a major driver of population growth in an area, providing opportunities for households to relocate from other areas or new households to form locally (such as young people leaving the family home or separations/divorces).
Residential development can take various forms depending on the availability of land. These include new housing estates on greenfield sites, subdivision in existing residential neighbourhoods (often called infill development), conversion of industrial lands to residential lands, and densification of housing by building up.
.id's forecasters worked with Council planners to understand the likely development activity in each small area. This forms the development assumptions for the forecasts. This table shows the quantity of new development assumed in each small area in the City of Melbourne. Select each small area to see detailed assumptions.
List of forecast land developments and infill assumptions:
2017-2022 dwelling additions are based on known sites, both completed and under construction. They include:
- Ikebana - 130-154 Dudley Street - 241 dwellings (2017)
- One71 - 171 Rosslyn St - 18 dwellings (2017)
- The Journal - 14-20 Anderson St - 45 dwellings (2017)
- The Wallace - 60 dwellings (2017)
- 14-20 Roden Street - 10 dwellings (2018)
- 57-77 Dudley Street - 438 dwellings (2018)
- Bond Quarter - 105 dwellings (2018)
- Clover - 82 Ireland St - 14 dwellings (2018)
- 621-643 King Street - 82 dwellings (2019)
- Volaire -109-129 Ireland Street - 160 dwellings (2019)
- 187-189 Adderley Street - 10 dwellings (2019)
- Howard West - 11 Howard Street - 17 dwellings (2019)
- Flagstaff Green - 254 dwellings (2020)
- Rosslyn Apartments - 113 Rosslyn St - 165 dwellings (2020)
- Melbourne Village - 83-113 Batman Street - 529 dwellings (2021)
- West End - 177-231 Rosslyn St - 359 dwellings (2021-2022)
- 488-494 La Trobe Street - 118 dwellings (2022)
2023-2041 dwelling additions are based on approved and mooted sites, as well as future identified development precincts. Total assumed from 2023-2041: 5,550 dwellings