Residential development forecasts assume the number of dwellings in North Melbourne will increase by an average of 525 dwellings per annum to 20,845 in 2041.
The addition of dwellings to the housing stock is a major driver of population growth in an area, providing opportunities for households to relocate from other areas or new households to form locally (such as young people leaving the family home or separations/divorces).
Residential development can take various forms depending on the availability of land. These include new housing estates on greenfield sites, subdivision in existing residential neighbourhoods (often called infill development), conversion of industrial lands to residential lands, and densification of housing by building up.
.id's forecasters worked with Council planners to understand the likely development activity in each small area. This forms the development assumptions for the forecasts. This table shows the quantity of new development assumed in each small area in the City of Melbourne. Select each small area to see detailed assumptions.
List of forecast land developments and infill assumptions:
2017-2022 dwelling additions are based on known sites, both completed and under construction. They include:
- 1 Shiel Street - 34 dwellings (2017)
- 243-251 Flemington Road - 19 dwellings (2017)
- Helio Apartments - 113 dwellings (2017)
- 241-247 Dryburgh Street - 44 dwellings (2018)
- Arden Park - 275 Abbotsford St - 92 dwellings (2018)
- MILQ - 33-35 Arden Street - 45 dwellings (2018)
- 48-50 Villiers Street - 15 dwellings (2018)
- NV Apartments - 46 Villiers St - 11 dwellings (2018)
- Reflections - 112 Haines Street - 143 dwellings (2019)
- 450-454 Queensberry Street - 23 dwellings (2019)
- 65-67 Arden Street - 25 dwellings (2019)
- Arden Gardens - 101-133 Canning Street - 299 dwellings (2020)
- 15-27 Wreckyn Street - 197 dwellings (2020)
- The Principal - 69-73 Flemington Road - 165 dwellings (2020)
- 179-191 Flemington Road - 134 dwellings (2020)
- 199-217 Peel Street - 51 dwellings (2020)
- 233-239 Dryburgh Street - 39 dwellings (2021)
- 39-43 Leveson Street - 11 dwellings (2021)
- 89-95 Lothian Street - 57 dwellings (2022)
- Former Royal Park Hotel Site - 399-405 Queensberry Street - 12 dwellings (2022)
- Small sites - 23 dwellings
2023-2041 dwelling additions are based on approved and mooted sites, as well as future identified development precincts. Total assumed from 2023-2041: 11,580 dwellings