Residential development forecasts assume the number of dwellings in Cheltenham will increase by an average of 117 dwellings per annum to 10,586 in 2036.
The addition of dwellings to the housing stock is a major driver of population growth in an area, providing opportunities for households to relocate from other areas or new households to form locally (such as young people leaving the family home or separations/divorces).
Residential development can take various forms depending on the availability of land. These include new housing estates on greenfield sites, subdivision in existing residential neighbourhoods (often called infill development), conversion of industrial lands to residential lands, and densification of housing by building up.
.id's forecasters worked with Council planners to understand the likely development activity in each small area. This forms the development assumptions for the forecasts. This table shows the quantity of new development assumed in each small area in the City of Kingston. Select each small area to see detailed assumptions.
Over the 2016 to 2036 period, it is anticipated that the majority of development in Cheltenham will occur within the Cheltenham Activity Centre. Council's Structure Plan informed assumptions regarding the activity centre, where an additional 1,634 dwellings are forecast. Major developments within the Activity Centre and the broader area of Cheltenham for the period 2011 to 2016 have been adjusted to reflect Census results. Assumptions beyond 2016 include:
- Central Park - 208 dwellings (2014-2017)
- Jean Street Multi Dwellings - 25 dwellings (2016-2017)
- 18 Barrett Street - 10 dwellings (2017)
- The Village Cheltenham - 190 dwellings (2018)
- Sapphire Apartments - 35 dwellings (2018)
- 273-275 Charman Road - 16 dwellings (2018)
- 2-6 Railway Road - 115 dwellings (2018)
- Garfield Street Apartments - 22 dwellings (2019)
- Charman St Mixed Use - 36 dwellings (2019)
- 1234 Nepean Hwy - 79 dwellings (2021)
- 261-267 Charman Road - 18 dwellings (2021)
- Infill development of 9-28 dwellings per annum
- Centres development of 15-87 dwellings per annum