Colac Otway Shire
Net migration by age
The age group with the highest net migration in Colac Otway Shire is 25-29 year olds, this is forecast to occur in the period between 2026 to 2031.
Migration is one of the most important components of population change. Once you have established the amount of development activity in an area, the next step is to make assumptions about who will move into the area as well as who is leaving the area.
Net migration by age is an excellent way of understanding housing markets. The most mobile age groups in the population are young adults. They tend to move to attend educational institutions, seek work and express a change in lifestyle. Market research has shown that empty nesters are more likely to move to smaller accommodation when appropriate and affordable alternative housing is supplied in the local area that is accessible to established social networks.
Select each small area to see how migration patterns differ for each area across Colac Otway Shire depending on their housing markets and stage in the suburb life cycle.
Migration assumptions influenced by:
- Relatively small change to population thorugh migration over each 5-year period, owing to the limited amount of development opportunity in the area
- Overall a dual housing market with gains of families (20-49 and 0-9 years), as well as older adults and retirees (45-64 years)
- Adidtionally, there are small gains of young adults in their 20s, mostly male, attracted to rental opportunties in Colac
- Small gain of frail elderly (85 years and over)
- Loss of young adults (18-19 years) attracted to education opportunities elsewhere